— Photo Session Preparation —
| — Simplicity is the
- Solid colors are best. Avoid large or bold patterns and bright colors.
They draw attention away from the face.
- Long sleeve dresses and shirts are recommended. They draw attention away
from the arms and focus it on the face. (Short sleeves are acceptable for
infants and small children).
- Coordinate your attire from head to toe, carefully selecting appropriate
shoes and stockings, as our photographer may portray you in a full length pose.
- Darker clothing tends to minimize body size, and light tones tend to
emphasize body size.
- Necklines are important. A vee or scoop neck is best if your neck is short
and your face is full. A turtle neck or high necked garment is more flattering
if your neck is longer and your face is slender.
- For group photos dress everyone in the same style of clothing. Do not mix
casual and formal attire.
- Keep the tonal range of clothing within the group the same. Do not mix
light and dark values. Save patterns for accent items like scarves and
- White or light pastel clothing, shoes, stockings, pants or dresses look
best in portraits taken against a white or light background.
- To assure a successful portrait, it is best to bring along several
additional clothing choices.
- Remember to bring all accessories for each outfit: jewelry, undergarments,
- Girls, please have your makeup already applied and your hair styled when
you arrive and hands manicured.
- If you wear glasses please make provisions to either have your lenses
removed from the frames or have an optician apply a glare-free coating to the
lens surface a week before your session.
- You may bring your favorite CD's to play during your session.
Minnesota photographer, wedding photography, portrait